One God One Thought Center for Better Living
Ministry Leader’s Meeting Minutes
September 8, 2018
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order at 12:00 PM by Rev Lameteria Hall
Opening Prayer: A song by Karen Drucker, “I Start My Day With Love”
Daily Inspiration: Group reading of ONENESS – “I AM THE ONE”
July 2018 Minutes: Paulette Lucas motioned to approve the July 2018 Ministry Leaders Meeting minutes with grammatical errors to be corrected and it was seconded by Debra Ruffin-Dorsey. Motion carried.
Marketing Tips for the Ministries – Mary Kniep
- Rev Hall requested each person to double up with someone that has a smartphone, then go to YouTube and search for the “Power of Words”, 1:48sec. Once everyone has it we will listen to it together. Our guest speaker, Mary Kniep, has requested that we listen to the YouTube segment before she speaks.
- The Video highlighted: First, how the re-framing of words will benefit us, the public and our members and secondly, guerrilla marketing/public relation, which was demonstrated in the re-framing of the words on the hand-written sign manifested increase, emotions and change.
- Mary opened the discussion highlighting the following tips:
- It how you present yourself
- It is the material you must present to your audience
- It Is planned
- it is implemented
- The disciplines of public relationship should focus on internal audiences ( members, volunteers, anyone within the structure) and external audiences (community partners; people you don’t know that you want to reach and target), by Influencing, engaging and building a relationship across a myriad of platforms in order to shape and frame the public perceptions of an organization, in order to be target specific in what you are doing.
- The following suggestions and recommendations were given from the view point of a newcomer to OGOT that does not know what has been developed for public information:
- Facilitate good communication and processes are key
- A plan must be developed or discussed how you can make things easier to understand and more available to the people.
- More emphasis on what this center is about and what the Universal Truth is.
- Price list of what is available, simplify the message and OGOT business cards
- Signs announcing events and requesting ads from community business for events
- Data bases for mailing list.
- Policy and Procedure Manual should be available
- Use AP Style for the proper format for media relations or press releases
- Rev Bernette L. Jones acknowledged Mary for her energy in pulling together a team for media public relation and outreach of the May McCarthy Event.
- Rev Jones stated she wanted to engrain in the consciousness of every Ministries that when we are planning and proposing events that we ask ourselves the following questions:
- How are we going to market the event to let the people know?
- How are we going to catch the information of who participated in anyway?
- What other information do we want to have available when the people come here or encounter us?
- Karen Clay made the comment that we have the structure in place to move forward with many of the things Mary had mentioned, either we have done the things consistently or inconsistently. We need to continue to be intentional, because we have the website committee in place discussing branding. We are not starting from zero.
- 25th Anniversary 2019 – Rev Jeanette Gatewood-Johnson
- Rev Gatewood-Johnson, Chairperson of 25th Anniversary Committee opened the discussion with excitement, enthusiasm and expectancy about celebration coming up next year and stating how the idea of the 25th Anniversary will be celebrated all year long during 2019. The anniversary slogan is “25 Years Building Consciousness in Baltimore and Beyond”. The following attributes were mentioned as ways to sustain that relationship for 25 years, which is a milestone: commitment, lots of hard work, love, and prayer.
- Rev Gatewood-Johnson distributed information, “OGOT 25th Anniversary Ministry Gift”, strategy plans for fun and fundraising to support the various events. It highlighted Plan I – Have at least 10 ministries and 2 community partners to raise a minimum of $3,600.00 (goal per ministry and partner is $300 or greater) between now and February 24, 2019 and Plan II – Each Ministry of the Month is to have an anniversary inspired activity that should be consciousness raising as well as fun.
- The venue of the 25th Anniversary Gala will be held at Bleues on the Water, Glen Burnie, By March 1, 2019 the venue is requiring a down payment of $2,446.50.
- Gift donations are to be given only to Rev Gatewood-Johnson, Rev Deborah Shepperson-Smith, Debra Ruffin-Dorsey, and Rev Hall in order that gift monies are properly accounted for, tabulated, and tracked for accounting purposes. Any additional funds after the 25th Anniversary will go towards the 26th Anniversary start up funds. Ministries are to follow special activity guidelines when planning or proposing your ministry event. Committee is requesting that by October 13, 2018, Ministries let them know of your activity intention. Ministries will receive credit and acknowledgment of their gifts at the gala and a group picture in the souvenir program book.
- Karen Clay asked if a decision would be made at this meeting for the minutes, that the months assigned to Ministries in 2018 will remain the same months for each Ministries in 2019. Rev Hall stated for record the months will remain the same for each Ministries on the OGOT Center Ministry Calendar 2019. Rev Hall reminded everyone that the calendar is in the OGOT Ministries Online Repository and that everyone should be engaged in using it and encouraging and showing their members how to use it.
- Rev Jones mentioned that OGOT is an organization and institution that is doing incredible things that are substantive and we need to be mindful as we prepare for our 25th year to provide information to the people that want to participate in giving, an example is to pull statements from our minutes and let them scroll on the multi-media monitor in the foyer for people to read.
- Spiritual Arts Talent/Fashion Show – Emma Sembly-Brodie
- Emma acknowledged two committee members (Mary Kneip and Karen Clay) presence in the meeting. Emma stated the theme for the Spiritual Arts Talent/Fashion Show is Awoke: One Breath at a Time! was developed out of spiritual discussions.
- Emma passed around a sample of the media ad, designed by Karen, for viewing.
- Karen advised that tickets will soon available at $25.00 in advance for one; $40.00 for two; at the door it is $30.00 for one and $50,00 for two.; Saturday, November 3, 2018; and from 01:00 to 05:00 PM.
- Emma advised that there are Patron List and Program Book ad contract forms available to generate funds. It was also disclosed that visiting small businesses in our community, we were able generate $225.00 in ads for the program book.
- Living in Conscious Manifestation, Intentional Healing – Rev Judith Hokhmah
- Rev Judith Hokhmah Ministries (Community Outreach) announced that she is teaming up with Living Well Center and Bishop Harris to do the Living in Conscious Manifestation, Intentional Healing, Body, Mind, Spirit & Finances Workshop, on Saturday, October 13, 2018, from 09:00 AM to 05:30 PM, at OGOT Center for Better Living. Tickets are $25.00 for adults and $10.00 for youth (12 to 18).
- This event is a fun fund raiser and donation will be going to OGOT, plus a package to buy equipment for Yoga SP Practice Workshop to take out into the Baltimore.
- Rev Hall advised the ministry updates in details will be given during the October 13 meeting.
Multi-Media – No Updates
Bridges – No Updates
JCTS Registration – No Updates
Harmony Book Store – No Updates
Prosperity Ministry – No Updates
Ushers/Hostesses-Host Ministry – Michael Staples and Elaine Atlee
- OGOT Annual Cook-Out will held in doors (Fellowship hall) due to inclement weather is predicted.
Optimal Health – No Updates
Special Service – Henrietta Coward
- Clarence Jones was acknowledged for his volunteer service he gives to Special Service.
Prayer Ministry – Rev Judith Hokhmah and Debra Ruffin-Dorsey
- Our Prayer Ministry will join forces Unity of Baltimore to celebrate Unity World Day of Prayer on September 13, 2018. From 06:00 AM to 12:00 PM we will have prayer by different individuals, by using the church prayer line 605-468-8022, ext. 386-304#. A slip will be put in the church bulletin requesting congregants to give the name of 10 individuals that need special prayer on the World Day of Prayer. At 07:00 PM there be a worship service at Unity of Baltimore, 2901 N Charles Street, Baltimore, MD. The theme for the worship service will be Courage to Heal and the affirmation I AM a Healing Presence. During the service the name of love ones will be read.
Youth Ministry – No Updates
Music/Choir – Paulette Lucas
- Paulette stated that she wanted to thank God for anointing us, appointing us, and blessing us to experience POT by opening the healing service that Sunday morning, August 5, 2018.
- The choir will be singing at the 29th Kunte Kinte Festival in Annapolis, MD, on September 29, 2018, at 11:00 AM; Community Stage.
- The choir will be planning a concert during the month of January 2019.
- Rev Jones stated the choir surprised Paulette with a special acknowledgment and the other choir directors and musician (Yahya Kamau, Marva Griffin, and Cynthia Shepherd) with an abundance of food, gifts, and accolades. As a part of this community we like to acknowledge you for your leadership for all these years.
- The next Ministry Leaders Meeting is scheduled for October 13, 2018, 12:00 – 01:00 PM, in the Library. The focus will be on connecting and updating. It is requested that you come prepared to bring in your highlight for the entire year of 2019.
- For the month of November 10, 2018, the meeting will be from 12:00 to 02:00 PM. The focus will be on forgiveness, preparing us as leaders as we move from 2018 to 2019.
- Our meeting on December 8, will be for three hours and it will be a holiday celebration.
- The OGOT choir will have rehearsal at 09:45 AM to 12:00 PM on October 13, 2018 in room 109.
Closing Prayer – Meeting was adjourned by Lameteria Hall with closing Prayer at 2:00 PM.
Attendees: Rev. Lameteria Hall (Asst. to Senior Minister), Rev Bernette L Jones (Senior Minister), C. Michael Staples (Hostess/Ushers), Van Johnson (BoD/Choir), Roshann Steel (Optimal Health), Debra Ruffin-Dorsey (JCTS), Clarence Jones (Special Service), Rev Jeannette Gatewood-Johnson (Bridges), Elladonna Lanier (Multi-Media), Elaine Atlee (Hostess), Emma Sembly-Brodie (Spiritual Arts), Karen Clay (Optimal Health), Rev Judith Hokhmah (Prayer Ministry), Bessie Haskins (Youth), Paulette Lucas (OGOT Choir), Linda Keith (Bridges)