One God One Thought Center for Better Living
Ministry Leader’s Meeting Minutes
June 8, 2019
Meeting was called to order by Donna R. Gaither at 12:10 p.m.
Opening Prayer: Linda Keith
Daily Inspiration: Bessie Haskins
May 2019 Minutes: Henrietta made a motion that the May 2019 minutes be approved with corrections. The motion was seconded by Bessie. Motion carried.
BRIDGES – Linda Keith
- We kicked off May, which was our month, with our Sweet Joy release. From that we collected $122.00 for the church.
- We are having our bon voyage party today for our retreat cruise to Alaska.
- We are having our mental health awareness workshop the first Saturday in Octobe (October 5th).
JCTS – Debra Ruffin Dorsey
- Classes end this week.
- There will be no classes this summer, but we are planning two workshops. One is based on the book “The 30-Day Mental Diet” with Reverend Judith and a Forgiveness workshop.
- “The 30-Day Mental Diet” is a 30-day process by which you clear your mind, get your mind restarted.
Harmony Bookstore – Sheila Sembly-Crum
- We are the ministry of the month for this month. I am working on our display which will be up by tomorrow morning.
- We have a few D. I.s left.
- The bookstore is still under construction, so that is why you see me with books outside. It seems this has been bringing books more to people’s attention.
Prosperity – In-active
Optimal Health – No report
Special Services – Henrietta Coward
- We are doing special services.
Spiritual Arts – Emma Sembly-Brodie
- The contribution we made for the 25th anniversary was a video. It was well received at the Gala. We would like to turn that video into an extended project where various church members are interviewed and could simply share their impressions and memories of people who have gone before and comments about OGOT’s institutions so we can develop it into a documentary.
- Our next big event is in November, which is the annual fashion and talent show. It is called “Turn on the light”, we refer to it as “Total” because when the light is on, you get totality.
- This year we are combining the one hour for vendors with the one hour for dinner total for both from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. The program will go from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. So, the total time is from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- This year our souvenir booklet is not going to be called a souvenir booklet anymore, because we understand as the Spiritual Arts ministry, our focus is not on fundraising, fashion and it’s not on talent. It’s about providing a venue for spiritual enlightenment and we are looking at the theme this year for OGOT which “Light” is.
- However, we are realistically aware it takes money, so the meditative booklet will also have the component of sponsorship with business cards, half page ads, patron ads and all of that.
- Lameteria said for 2020 we could consider that. OGOT anniversaries only have a major event off site every five years. So, in 2020 if Spiritual Arts, because you guys did a beautiful book, wants to propose an idea of having a package that covers everything, this is something you can present as a plan for 2020, not for 2019.
- We also want to acknowledge Yahya for his masterful job on the video. Debra said the video was the highlight of the gala. It was just perfect in every way and was well done. Emma thanked Linda who had the institutional memory to go through all the pictures and pull out the ones that were significant.
Prayer – Debra Ruffin Dorsey
- Next Thursday, the Prayer Ministry is walking the labyrinth at the Bon Secours Retreat Center at 6:00 p.m. The Meditation class is facilitating the process.
- We will not be having a Meditation workshop this summer.
Youth – Bessie Haskins
- Since there are five Sundays in this month, June 30th is Youth Sunday. There will also be a scholarship awards ceremony after service that Sunday. The program is still in its planning stages, but we will be celebrating Myracle Willis, who is graduating from high school and Kendal Sowell who has graduated from community college.
Music/Choir – Yahya Kamau
- We are preparing for the Choir concert. In addition to our Saturday rehearsals, we had added Wednesday rehearsals, but will be having them in the early morning to allow for more additional rehearsal time.
- Right now, we have a young lady, Myracle who is working on getting a scholarship in drumming and has been coming for practices and rehearsals. Tiffany Ginyard has started working more on guitar and her vocals.
- This is something to be celebrating because it shows we are expanding, and people are showing up to express themselves.
- I understand that in the Youth ministry, we have been teaching our young people the benediction song. I think this gives us an opportunity for them to sing during the Sunday morning worship service. Invite them up one by one or in small groups.
Choir Concert – Linda Keith
- So far, about 24 members of the choir have agreed to take five tickets that they have to sell and/or pay for.
- The concert is Saturday, August 10th from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. Vendors will be on site from 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. and the concert is from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- The committee wanted to ask each Ministry to take five tickets, but I’m not sure of the process.
- Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door.
- There will be guests performers. We have confirmed the group “Serenity” and Aaron Hill will be joining us.
- If Ministry Leaders want to get five tickets, please see me. Others see Deborah Wells Wright.
Multi-Media – Elladonna Lanier
- Working with Yahya who has a friend that donated a T.V. to the church, which we will be mounting on the wall in the foyer.
Ushers/Hostesses – Michael Staples
- We already had our event; the flapjack breakfast and it was very successful.
Members shared Affirmation Cards
Announcements: Reverend Lameteria
- Tomorrow is Founders Day for the Universal Foundation for Better Living honoring our Founder, the Reverend Dr. Johnnie Coleman. We will get a Founders cover tomorrow, Founders envelopes that we make contributions to our organization. Come prepared for that tomorrow.
- We will have the installation of our new Board members, two of whom are present: Gerald Brown and Linda Keith.
- There is also a Spiritual Baptism tomorrow.
- There is a video about the Reverend Dr. Johnnie Coleman which will be shown after the service.
Spiritual Solutions Leadership Focus: “Remembering the Rev. Dr. Johnnie Coleman”
Reverend Lameteria said we each have a handout provided by Reverend Bernette, on the “5 Signs of Spiritual Maturity” based on a model that was developed by the Rev. Rick Warren of Saddleback Church in California. He emphasis that spiritual maturing is not about, age; appearance; accomplishments nor academics. So, we want to make sure everybody is in tune, all our messages right now are leading towards this and we want all the Ministry leaders to have this.
These are the five signs of spiritual maturity:
Positive under pressure (James 2-4)
- Sensitive to other people (James 2:1-3)
- Responsible in what they say (James 3:206)
- Peacemakers (James 4:1)
- Patient and prayerful (James 5:16)
Ministry Leaders shared their experiences with/about the Rev. Johnnie Coleman.
Closing Prayer: The Serenity Prayer. Meeting was adjourned at 1:38 p.m.
Attendees: Sheila Sembly-Crum (Harmony Bookstore), Emma Sembly- Brodie (Spiritual Arts), Bessie Haskins (Youth), Henrietta Coward (Special Services), Donna R. Gaither (BRIDGES/office assistant), Debra Ruffin Dorsey (JCTS), C. Michael Staples (Ushers/Hostesses), Rev. Lameteria D. Hall (Executive Staff), Yahya Kamau (Music/Choir), Elladonna Lanier (Multi-Media), Linda Keith (BRIDGES).